More Decision - Circumcision

Here is a controversial topic and sent my family and friends into overdrive.  Now I am not into FGM, I believe in making the right choice for your child.  I have a son, however we had people giving the argument that this would mean we would do the same for a girl.  So to set the record straight, that would be a no.  male and female procedure are very different cases.  I do not believe there are any health benefits to the female procedure.

Male circumcision, is something very different.  There are a lot of pro and cons for this procedure.  Personally I think more pro than con really.  However I know this can erupt into a very heated argument.  Now, my hubby comes from a 'only if necessary' and I came from 'it is just done' family.  My hubby is done, but was circumcised later in life because of issues, and from what I hear same for one of his brothers for the same issue and last was done as a baby.  Now I hear the later in life hurts a lot and really is something that was not a good experience for my hubby.

So, with this information and the pro and cons and family history, we decided for the procedure.  I do think the penis does look better, however this should not be your only reason.  Parents of little boys will also tell you it is easy for cleaning purposes as well.

I have attached a link about male circumcision here from the World Health Organisation with the idea that on this you do need to make your own decision.  Whatever you decide, feel good in the fact you have made an informed decision.

If you decide too do this you have to find a doctor who is willing to perform the procedure.  Doctors have their own personal say on the matter.  I will say ensure you have this conversation prior to baby being born to save the argument.

We were lucky to find a doctor who was like us well informed of the pros and cons.  He allowed us to make this decision and understood it was also based on both our family history.

All I can suggest for this subject is to make this choice between you and your partner and no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment